Re: [OM] Filter Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter Question
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:49:14 -0800 (PST)
Chris O'Neill wrote:
(snip)
IMHO, I think it's a matter of personal preference.  For years, I kept
a UV filter on every lens "just in case."  Now, I'm living life on the
edge and practicing "unsafe" photography.  I feel that the non-presence
of a filter has slightly improved the sharpness of my images.  Not that
my "safe era" shots were all that unsharp.
Like Chris, I once used filters as a general rule for lens protection
but I stopped, earlier this year, because I considered they were
probably detracting from the contrast of my pictures. The "protection"
afforded by a filter can backfire: a broken filter can do enormous
damage to the lens front element. If you want "safe" photography,
you're better off with a good lens hood than a filter IMHO. The lens
hood adds value to the shot, too, by reducing stray peripheral light
and the resultant flare, whereas a UV filter can only make it worse by
encouraging flare.

Season's greetings to all listees,

Regards,

=====