Re: [OM] Filter Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter Question
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:24:53 -0800
On 18 Dec 2000, at 8:56, John Hudson wrote:

 I suspect that any
 degradation caused by a high quality filter is minuscule. Poor quality
 filters are probably another story.

I've never been able to afford "high quality" filters.  The el-cheapo ones
DO degrade the image slightly.  I noticed this by removing a filter,
looking through the viewfinder, and then holding the filter up to the lens. I could see a noticable difference. Then, I took some test shots... same scene, one photo with a filter and another photo without. The
shot with the filter on was slightly fuzzier than the filterless one.

So, since then (about 4 months ago), I've been shooting without a filter. My results appear to be slightly sharper than before. Now, all I hafta do
is work on my composition and exposure skills!  :-)))

Regards,

Chris

I would think that a visible difference looking through the viewfinder would be due as much to the fact that the filter is not perfectly perpendicular to the axis of the lens when handheld. The test shots make the point though.

I used to do the UV filter thing on all my lenses, but I gravitated to something similar to Doris Fang's school of using the lens shade for protection of an unfiltered or uncapped lens. You certainly need a shade if you have a filter on the front to avoid flare and having both is like wearing a belt_and_suspenders. If you use a hat instead of a shade, then maybe a filter is a good idea. Or if you have an actual photographic need for a filter, that is something else.

I wonder sometimes whether filter quality should be the obsession it is sometimes. Good old Ansel used Kodak gelatin filters without degrading his pictures and even said that "B glass" laminated to gelatin was fine for most photographic work excepting maybe extremely high resolution map work. I think most filters sold now are pretty high quality if not damaged in some way(excepting those little square French plastic ones).

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA