Re: [OM] I know Why the Big CCD Sings

Subject: Re: [OM] I know Why the Big CCD Sings
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:48:30 -0800
In a message dated 12/20/2000 Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

<< So are all the other companies with digital bodies that use existing
lenses
just marketing an inferior product? >>

>From what I perceive they are marketing a design compramise in order to
quickly gain market segment in a market they have a good entrenchment
and allowing an easy path for working professionals who already have a
sizeable investment in lenses.

"Inferior" is subjective. A world reknowned racing photographer I chat
with via e-mail is getting himself a D30 and a fast Canon 500mm lens
(normally a Nikon user mostly so most of his lenses are not Canon...not
sure why he choose the D30 over the D1) for Christmas. He feels the cost
of that package will be amortized off by mid-season in film, processing,
and above all time savings. (This guy is one of the top racing
photgraphers in the world and shoots 50-60 rolls each event...time is
money and it takes an enormous amount of his time scanning all the
keepers from each event.) For him, the purchase is a no-brainer.

The E10 is not quite a D30, S1, or D1 but is far less money (read make
profit sooner if you use it to make money) and offers a ground up
digital system that could well be the second coming of the OM1 (see Ken
Norton's lightning strikes twice thread). I can see that in the not too
distant future that I may have to go there for making money to support
shooting film in my OMs.

Rather than imply the first to the professional market is marketing an
inferior product (first to market in high tech things are always
inferior to next year's model anyway), look at it as Olympus has taken
the time to really evalute their direction and offers a great value in
what is clearly the best bang for the buck in the digital camera market
today and the future looks bright. Bad news of course for us OM users
hoping to keep using our Zuikos in a digital world is bleak (though the
thought of a D30 with the Zuiko 350/2.8 with an OM-to-EOS adapter is
really tempting...). The good news is Olympus is doing some very
exciting and innovative development that puts them right back in the
professional market (sadly not with any new film offerings).

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com