Re: [OM] I know Why the Big CCD Sings

Subject: Re: [OM] I know Why the Big CCD Sings
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:09:30 -0800
We have all heard Olympus' questionable reasoning behind rejecting the
combination of standard SLR lenses and digital imaging. Well, I saw a short
review of the E-10 in the Feb 01 issue of PCPhoto (pg. 34) that actually gives a
plausible explanation for their position:

"Olympus also designed a completely new lens for the E-10. The nature of digital
camera sensors is such that light coming in at too steep an angle won't be
recorded at all. Larger sensors and wider-angle lenses exacerbate the problem.
The very large 4.1 megapixel sensor required a new design to maximize the image
potential of the camera..."

Whether this is just Olympus marketing speak or the editorial opinion of PCPhoto
is hard to say.

The one weakness of SLR design, I have heard it said, is the requirement of the lens to be a retrofocus design in order have room for the mirror/light box. Supposedly it is difficult to design such a lens and to manufacture it to the same high standard as a lens for a camera with an auxiliary viewing system such as a rangefinder. A secondary result is the comparatively large size of the retrofocus design. Since, apparently, an SLR design is not retrofocus enough for a digital sensor, won't the problems of the design become even more exaggerated as the the steepness of the angle is decreased? If so, it is understandable why a complete redesign of the camera is needed for digital, ie., small sensor=small field=offset of lens size increase due to more extreme retrofocus.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA