Re: [OM] Zuiko 300/4.5: price, opinions, etc....

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 300/4.5: price, opinions, etc....
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:52:16 -0600 (CST)
On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 18:11:34, james olson wrote:

>While visiting my local camera store today, I noticed that they had a Zuiko
>300/4.5, MC, caps, case for $325.  It is very clean, and the price seems
>quite good.  Can anyone who owns the lens comment on it...

I used to have the 300/4.5 and it is an excellent lens. I'd say $325
is a good price for a very clean example. I bought and sold mine for
around $400.

>Any opinions off line would really help, as I think it's a great price, but
>would I be better off saving my $$$ and going for a Tamron 300/2.8 or Tamron
>400/4 in the future?

A 300/2.8 is a beautiful thing. I have the Tokina 300/2.8,and it is
arguably the sharpest lens I own. And you haven't focused until
you've had your screen POP into focus on a long fast lens. So if you
have an option to pick up a Tamron or Tokina (both have excellent
reputations) 300/2.8 I'd recommend it.

That said, go ahead and pick up the Zuiko now. At that price, you
should be able to sell it for what you have in it (possibly even at a
profit) when you've come up with the rest of the $$$ you'll need for
the fast lens. And in the meantime, you'll be honing your 300mm
technique and learning what you can do with it. You may even decide
you want two 300s, if you use that focal length very much. Compared
to a 300/2.8, the 300/4.5 is compact and light, and is a great option
if you're going to have to lug it very far or hand hold for any
length of time.

BBB
-
B.B. Bean                                       bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx