Re: [OM] Kievs and Oly's

Subject: Re: [OM] Kievs and Oly's
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:46:52 -0000
Les Clark wrote:

> Keith, we've all heard so much of the QC problem at Arsenal -- to the
> extent of having a Czech company and an American company both fix them
> up before or after the Kievs are sold -- that I wondered when reading
> your post: do you speak Russian? and how do you avoid  getting poor
> quality equipment from so far away from Ukraine?

Up to now I've only bought from Russian eBay sellers who guarantee their
cameras and have a return policy, most of them have zero negative feedback
and seem very keen to keep it that way. The newly discovered dealer claims
to work in conjunction with a repairman to check his stock and says that
there are so many cameras to choose from that he can pick the best. I know
about Kiev/USA's improvement policy but their prices are astronomical.
Russian cameras that used to be imported into the UK in the 1980s were
similarly checked, adjusted and guaranteed by Technical & Optical Equipment
in London but they still kept their prices very low. Sadly, in spite of that
Russian equipment didn't catch on well here and T.O.E. no longer exist, in
fact there appears to be no regular importer here now.

No, I don't speak Russian though I can read the Cyrillic alphabet and that's
often useful.

There's a feeling I get when opening a parcel from the former USSR and
realising that I'm probably the first person in the West to see the camera
that emerges from it.

-Keith