Re: [OM] IS-3DLX - I'm lost

Subject: Re: [OM] IS-3DLX - I'm lost
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 22:15:56 -0600
One common fault on the IS's is that the rewind button can get hung,
shorting the rewind contacts, disabling the camera, and draining the
batteries.  Check that first.

Another frequent problem is an oily zoom motor - Oly used too much
grease in the zoom gears, so that it invades the zoom motor and
causes it to behave badly ("bad motor - bad!").  The test is, it
will zoom OK for a few times, then it begins to zoom from tele to
wide only very slowly.  (That doesn't sound like what you're seeing,
but I thought I'd mention it.)  The only solution is to replace the
zoom motor.

Chances are, though, that the barrels are deformed (that's a fancy
word for "bent").  There needn't be any external sign of impact,
though - if it was in it's case, had a lens cap on, etc., the barrel
and it's guide rollers may be bent enough to jam the zoom.  If so,
the rollers at least will have to be replaced, perhaps even barrel
parts.

BTW - to do what the 123 lithiums do, you'd need four AA-types (making
the camera much bulkier), and they'd have to be replaced every few
rolls.  123's are really cheaper in the long run.