Re: [OM] My New Web Site - all OM users welcome !

Subject: Re: [OM] My New Web Site - all OM users welcome !
From: David Irisarri <div2000@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:58:13 +0100
Hi peter,

Dr Peter Gilbert wrote:

> David, thank you for your comments, but I have to say that you are
> being *much* too modest - I've seen the shots on your web site and
> they blew *me* away. Your portraits are some of the best I have ever
> seen. Composition, lighting, colour saturation and exposure - all
> exquisite.  I don't think I have seen such a collection of such
> consistently high standard portraits under what are (in nearly all of
> your photos) what I would consider to be very challenging lighting
> conditions eg backlighting, strong sunlight and shade, water
> reflections etc.

Thank you also for your comments, I´m glad to see that you liked
some of my work. I love fashion photography, I´d like to work
with David Bailey ;-), it´s good to dream sometimes, isn´t it?

> I use a 4Ti and my people photos don't look *anywhere*  - not evenly
> remotely    :-(((   -  near as stunning as yours do, so you can't
> (and shouldn't) just give credit to the camera or the multi-spot
> metering system of the 4Ti alone - it is *you* the photographer that
> has the skill to use the tool to its full capacity. Yes the 4 Ti is a
> wonderful tool, but unless it is in the hands of an artist, it is
> just a piece of titanium and glass that takes snapshots.

I think this camera needs of some skill, in order to use it at
best but we must recognize that with OM1 is impossible to work
with zone system like with OM4T interface, so this camera is a
real advantage.

> I would love to see  you post a couple of paragraphs of text with
> each image and explain how you got each shot. How many spot readings
> would you have made for each shot? what parts of each scene did you
> meter? did you underexpose to get that glorious saturation? Did you
> bracket exposures? Did you use the Highlight button? Were your shots
> handheld or on tripod (they look damned sharp for handheld !!)? What
> lenses did you use other than the 50/1,2 - the shot of the guy on top
> of the hill looks like a 24 or even a 21mm . An unusual and very
> different choice for a portrait but it really works extremely well!
> Did you use fill-flash for some of them (I'd really be *very*
> interested if you did as I've never really felt like I have mastered
> the creative possibilities of the F280)?

I have to say that is highly recomended to read something about
Zone System, because without any doubt this camera was designed
to work with it. As I´ve explained some days ago, I always use
spot metering coupled with exposure compensation dial to jump to
the wished zone. I never use highligh and shadow buttons, and
rarely multispot metering, only when I cannot previsualize my
scene with Zone System technique. I rarely use tripod because
if you want to make good portraits, this is useless. I only
have three lenses, but I don´t need another one (maybe 90/2)
They are 50/1,2 ; 24/2 ; 180/2,8 . I use sometimes F280, specially
in summer to soften hard light. It´s a good flash but it could
have Metz MZ-3 features, plus superFP, bouncing etc... You know
what I mean, don´t you?

pd: I never bracket exposures, this is the most exciting!!! ;-)
What you see is what you get with Zone System.

Best regards,

Dave