Re: [OM] My New Web Site - all OM users welcome !

Subject: Re: [OM] My New Web Site - all OM users welcome !
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 01:44:39 +1100
On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 11:28:27AM +0100, David Irisarri wrote:
 Hi Peter,
 I´m impressed with your Gallery, this images show
 what you can do with OM system!!! Wow, they´re
 great. It´s the best OM web I´ve ever seen. I´m
 waitting for my PhotoCD disk, because I´ve taken
 new images with OM system, but I don´t know if
 to show them after seeing your lovely work. ;-(

 > Good stuff,

David, thank you for your comments, but I have to say that you are
being *much* too modest - I've seen the shots on your web site and
they blew *me* away. Your portraits are some of the best I have ever
seen. Composition, lighting, colour saturation and exposure - all
exquisite.  I don't think I have seen such a collection of such
consistently high standard portraits under what are (in nearly all of
your photos) what I would consider to be very challenging lighting
conditions eg backlighting, strong sunlight and shade, water
reflections etc.

I use a 4Ti and my people photos don't look *anywhere*  - not evenly
remotely    :-(((   -  near as stunning as yours do, so you can't
(and shouldn't) just give credit to the camera or the multi-spot
metering system of the 4Ti alone - it is *you* the photographer that
has the skill to use the tool to its full capacity. Yes the 4 Ti is a
wonderful tool, but unless it is in the hands of an artist, it is
just a piece of titanium and glass that takes snapshots.

I would love to see  you post a couple of paragraphs of text with
each image and explain how you got each shot. How many spot readings
would you have made for each shot? what parts of each scene did you
meter? did you underexpose to get that glorious saturation? Did you
bracket exposures? Did you use the Highlight button? Were your shots
handheld or on tripod (they look damned sharp for handheld !!)? What
lenses did you use other than the 50/1,2 - the shot of the guy on top
of the hill looks like a 24 or even a 21mm . An unusual and very
different choice for a portrait but it really works extremely well!
Did you use fill-flash for some of them (I'd really be *very*
interested if you did as I've never really felt like I have mastered
the creative possibilities of the F280)?

I'd love to see your latest work when you have the PhotoCD returned.

peter