Re: [OM] Basic Flash Info

Subject: Re: [OM] Basic Flash Info
From: John Hudson <xyyc@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:24:09 -0800
Hal Landvoigt wrote:

> I've been playing with my OM-4 for about 8 months now, and I've finally
> come to the decision that its time to invest in a flash (as well as a
> tungsten filter, since I wind up shooting a lot indoors).  Unfortunately
> I have no idea what I really need, or what the difference between all of
> these flashes is.  Does anyone know of a good primer web page thats
> worth reading, or could we start a thread on choosing a flash and what
> the differences between different flashes like the t-20, t-32, or
> something like a vivitar 283 are?
>
> Hal Landvoigt

Hal .... you might like to look at

http://www.agfaphoto.com/library/photocourse/9811/index.html

I have a Vivitar 285 which you can calibrate for full, half, quarter and
1/16 power output. That coupled with the use of a flash meter and an
understanding of the guide number system has convinced me that dedicated
branded [and expensive] flash guns are really not necessary.

Hope that helps

John Hudson
Vancouver, BC