Re: [OM] My New Web Site - all OM users welcome !

Subject: Re: [OM] My New Web Site - all OM users welcome !
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 19:18:28 +1100

Ahhhh if it were but this simple.....

Yes, you can easily import the scans into Acrobat by following this procedure, but the real magic comes in when you use Distiller.

Here's what I do.....

1.      Scan each page at 300dpi. Save as a TIFF file (25-30Mb/page)
2.      Each scan takes 5-6min to line up, preview, re-line-up, scan
3.      Drink some coffee between scans
4. Name each tiff file sequentially as Keith suggests. I used 01_nameofscan, 02_nameofscan etc
5.      Repeat steps 1-5 until whole brochure scanned

6.      Open Acrobat, choose File->Import->Image
7. Select all of the TIFF files you have saved from all the brochures. Click "Add" then "Done"
8.      Go make another cup of coffee
9. You now have a gorgeous Acrobat pdf file containing say 20 pages of you brochure,
        all in correct page order.
10.     Save the file and name it.
11. Go make a cup of coffee while your 600Mb pdf file saves to what's left of your hard disk.

12. From the 600Mb pdf file you created while drinking your last cup of coffee, ensure you have selected the Adobe PS print driver and the "Virtual Printer"
        as you printer.
13. Choose File-> Print to convert your 600Mb pdf file into a 700-800Mb postscript file. 14. Go make another cup of coffee (or two), invite some friends around, watch some TV. 15. Once another significant hunk of your hard drive has been eaten by the brochure scanning process, you can then begin to create the final Acrobat pdf document.
16.     Feed the 700-800Mb PS file you just created into Acrobat Distiller
(after configuring Job Options to appropriate compression and quality settings - I used 150dpi).
17.     Go make another cup of coffee.

18.     Voila !! the final pdf is only 5-8Mb in size and really nice quality !

I ave so far filled a 25Gb HD with remains of various generation pdf's, TIFFs and PS files. You don't want to delete anything until you are certain you are happy with final output - otherwise you might have to buy another bottle of coffee and go back to step one......

This is what I did, and I can't see any other way to achieve the quality and file size combination i needed/wanted for the OM site. Distiller will only take PS files, and they are big. Don't save your orig scans as jpeg, or the final pdf's will look like mush (trust me I know....). Garbage in, garbage out.....

TIFF is a lossless format, so the quality stays really high until the final pdf creation step. I'll stick this process together and whack in some screen shots of the various Distiller settings etc for those interested. I'll post onto the site when i finish it.

PS: I experimented with different brands of coffee but it didn't seem to have any effect on the quality of the final pdf's. I wouldn't recommend Irish Coffee though (heck - it'd make the process more fun though !!!!)

peter

Tom Scales wrote:
...I can create PDFs (have the software)
 but am a bit clueless on how to do it for multipage documents...

Coincidentally enough, with all this talk of PDF files, I tried this out for
the first time a couple of nights ago. Simply scan each page and save it to
a folder using filenames with a number, e.g. scan01, scan02... When you have
scanned and saved the full set, run the Acrobat program, select 'Add' and
when the file selector appears, select the first file and Shift-click on the
last one (on a PC anyway), press OK and the program paginates them all
automatically. It was quite impressive.

-Keith