Re: [OM] studio flash done cheaply?

Subject: Re: [OM] studio flash done cheaply?
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 23:48:42 -0500
Mickey wrote:

As for bounce, I have used it before, but the light seems to leave shadows
under the chins and in the eye sockets. Perhaps I need to practice with
different angles. For candids, it seems fine, but for the posed variety, I
was looking for maximun clarity, with hair highlights.

It would be hard to balance the two independent systems. The height of the ceiling is going to determine the power of the bounced flash. That is being controlled by the camera. The flash on the hot shoe is going to be affected by the reflected flash of both units if it is on auto. It could be correct or underexposing the areas that need some fill.

I wonder how the 283 for bounce, and the T32 for direct would work. I am not
sure how well the two automatic flash systems would play. Their independent
processes might be non productive.

It might just be best to use both flashes on manual and figure out the distances for both. Then allow the bounced flash to be slightly overpowering if you want highlights. You will still have to experiment a little, as some of the flash is lost in bouncing. Seems like it is about one stop.

I guess I need to get mutliple T32s
going.  If I cable the camera to the flash on the BG2, will it trigger
another flash if it's connected by a cable from the handle? At this time,
I'm not sure I see the need for more than 2 flashes, and could possibly
eliminate the need for the multiconnector. Would that work??

You can put one flash on the hot shoe, and another on the BG2 using the cable to the camera. If you use a couple of T32s, you can fire both using a cable from one flash directly to the other one as well. There are several different possible configurations available when using T32s and the BG2.

Gregg