Re: [OM] Prices for OM equipment--holding steady or declining?

Subject: Re: [OM] Prices for OM equipment--holding steady or declining?
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 02:03:45 -0000
Lyle Olsen wrote:
> Is it my imagination, or are prices of used OM equipment (and Nikon SLR
> and Nikonos) equipment, the only other 35mm I follow much on ebay) been
> falling somewhat in the last say, year or two?  ...

I think it's inevitable as the supply has increased with people jettisoning
their film based gear in favour of digital. Something similar happened in
the '60s when the SLR suddenly became viable and non-SLRs were being shed by
their owners in favour of them. Leicas became so cheap that even I as a low
paid shopworker could afford an outfit, and I was buying and selling classic
MF cameras for around 10 UKP. I suspect prices will recover, as they did
then, when people see the error of their ways and tire of the computer type
depreciation of their digibricks as they try to keep up to date.

My upsurge in interest in film based cameras over the last couple of years
was mostly due to buying a Ricoh digital camera - and of course this List
doesn't help to keep me sane!

Regards,
Keith Berry