[OM] RE: Cordless OM Flash?

Subject: [OM] RE: Cordless OM Flash?
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 17:48:14 -0500
Now, I don't want to start off on the wrong foot, but...
I would assume that at least one or two OM users use some other type of
camera.  If it is Nikon or Canon, I think I've thought of a way that OM
users can use those "other" flash units and get cordless flash that might
also be the same effect as TTL.

This thought process started when I acquired a Nikon SU-4 for use on my old
8008s and the SB-24 I bought for $50.  I had also purchased an SB-16 for $10
and wanted to see if I could get them to work together on a project that
would not allow use of cords.  So, I got an SU-4.  This device turns on and
off the appropriate slave as the master flash fires.  Unlike a conventional
slave, the SU-4 turns the slave on and off using the TTL logic to match the
master that is controlled by the camera.  That part works really well.  I
even tested it.

So, I'm thinking... What if I use my OM-4 and also use my SB-24 on the SU-4,
shouldn't it have the same net effect?  The SU-4 doesn't know where the
triggering flash comes from and the SB-24 sure doesn't know. So, I tested
it, it works!!!

Now, take it a step further.  I've got Sunpak, Metz, Vivitar, Nikon and
Olympus flash units.  I can use the Ikelite wireless flash trigger (similar
to the Nikon SU-4 except there are versions for Nikon and Canon).  Use my
OM-4 and trigger other non-OM flash units in concert with my T-32.  This
could help folks who want to use cordless flash and didn't get any help from
Olympus.

I really apologize for mentioning those other names here, but couldn't think
of a way to get around it.  Please forgive me.

Comments?

Brian P. Huber