[OM] Re: Motor Drive Caps

Subject: [OM] Re: Motor Drive Caps
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 08:13:22 +0000
As it happens, I have heard of the technique - uses a UV laser, steered by
a computer to scan the surface of bath of UV sensitive resin.  Where the
laser touches the resin hardens.  When a layer is completed a platform in
the liquid bath lowes a fraction, resin flows over the top of the hardened
part and the laser does another run -  and so on.

I have managed to successfully make a near exact copy of an MD cap using
silicon moulding rubber to form a mould.  The rubber is flexible enough to
mould even the severe undercut involved and to then pull out from beneath
it, though there is a high risk of tearing each time the mould is used.  I
used carbon fibres for added strength which worked for the large scale
parts of the cap but the fibres did not find their way into the bayonet
lugs, only the epoxy resin did.  So I have a nice strong carbon fibre copy
of a cap with very weak bayonet lugs.  One might be able to use such a cap
as a permanent fixture - install once and leave it in place - but removing
it might break off the lugs.

A pretty result but not very useful.

Giles