[OM] Motor Drive Caps

Subject: [OM] Motor Drive Caps
From: drchrisbarrett <drchrisbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 16:27:20 -0800
Dear Craig & Giles,

Some time ago I contemplated seeing if our Stereolithography kit at work
could do it. You've probably not heard of this, but it is a laser system
which "writes" on the surface of a bath of resin. Where the resin has
been exposed, it solidifies. The system gradually builds up the layers
to make a three dimensional object.

The problem with it is it is quite expensive, and I don't think we can
get quite the resolution needed for the fine detail on the cap. They
would also need some further work to finish them off.

However, it is a fairly rapid way of making objects. the bath is about
12" square, so it would be possible to produce about 200 in one growth
run.

At the sort of hourly rates though, each one would be costing 10's of
pounds to produce.

Chris Barrett
Malvern