Re: [OM] ...slide-on hood....

Subject: Re: [OM] ...slide-on hood....
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:49:00 +1100
I think I've mentioned this before on list, but I actually like to keep a skylight filter on my lenses, with an appropriate (ie no vignetting) metal lens hood attached. I don't put a cap over the lens hood.

Working from my camera bag therefore, lens changing is easy, in that I only need to swap rear caps from the news lens onto the back of the one coming off the body (and they are all std size OM) . I know there is great debate about filters degrading images etc, but I insist on....

lens hood ALWAYS used
lens hood as deep as possible (without vignetting)

I have never been prepared to place lenses in my camera bag without a front cap if they didn't have BOTH a lens hood and a filter. Usually the lens hood is deep enough to protect the filter from fingers etc, but I certainly wouldn't risk a "naked" front element, with or without a hood. I generally carry each lens face down in its own padded-wall section of my bags, resting on the front rim of their metal lens hood (hence my comment about rubber deforming shape)

Therefore, my only option (if assuming not using a filter) would be to use a lens cap, which means mounting and removing lens hood every time I change lenses. Yuck ! Much more risk of dropping something and/or missing a shot while you fumble around.

Plus, even though bayonet hoods are pretty neat (eg 35-80/2.8) I don't like reversing them over the lens for storage/carrying as they can scratch the barrel of the lens. I probably "molly-coddle" my OM babies in that I am very particular about how I use them/store them/ carry them etc , but the upside is that my (now) 12-13yr old lenses/bodies/etc look as good as the day I bought them new.

The OM teles and zooms with built-in sliding hoods I store/carry with the hood collapsed and a lens cap fitted. Same with the 18/3.5 - I have the 49-72 adapt permanently fitted and use a 72mm lens cap.

This lens hood and filter system (and no front lens cap) works well for me, maybe not for others.

cheers

peter

FWIW, I actually don't like using the rubber hoods - I tend to prefer rummaging thru "odds and sodds" boxes at camera shops and finding metal screw in hoods (making sure to check for vignetting). At about $2 a piece, I but whatever I can find and then play around when get home and try on various lenses. Obviously you want shallower, more widely flared lens hoods for WA lenses, narrower and longer for teles.

The metal hoods (I feel) give more protection to the lens in my camera bag, and are more effective in shading the front element. Also, if you lie a lens with fitted rubber lens hood down on its side (eg in your carry bag) you will notice that sometimes the rubber doesn't spring back to a perfectly round shape, but remains slightly deformed. This could interfere with the view of the lens.

just my (Australian) $0.02 worth.

cheers

peter

I think that lens shades are the one big screw up that Maitani made. If you have ever used bayonet lens shades, anything else is just primitive. If Oly can do it on the lens cap, why not the shade?

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA