Re: [OM] Motor drive cap for OM1 and another OM question

Subject: Re: [OM] Motor drive cap for OM1 and another OM question
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 08:28:58 -0700
At 10:54 PM 12/3/2000 -0500, Bill Barber wrote:
>I need a motor drive cap for an OM1.  1) Does anyone have one they would sell
>me? 2) Does anyone know a supplier that stocks them?

No.  They're long since discontinued.  A few suppliers might have used or
recycled ones.  Check The Olympus Guy (www.olympusguy.com) as one possibility.
John Hermanson (www.zuiko.com) is another.

> 3) Are there any other
>models that use the same cap?

Only other OM-1s, I believe.  Thus the difficulty in finding them.  Most people
in your situation fashion a small cover out of duct tape or some other
tape-like solution.

>  A have a lens or two that could use a good
>exterior cleaning.  I'm not going to take them to the car wash or run them
>through the prewash cycle on the dishwasher, however I would be interested in
>suggestions for cleaning Zuiko lens that you don't want to screw up.  Maybe
>some information on what does and doesn't work would help.

Many professional techs seem to use methanol.  It should be highly purified, so
that no residue is left after cleaning.  Using lint-free cleaning cloths (like
optical ones specially designed for the purpose) is also a good idea.  I don't
like Kodak's cleaning solution myself -- it *always* seems to leave a residue,
which I then have to try to remove by "fogging" the lens with my breath and
using another lint-free cloth.

When I sent my 100/2.0 away for inspection/cleaning, they used methanol to
clean it.  Sparkling.

Garth