[OM] Re: OM-1 with Polaroid back

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1 with Polaroid back
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 19:16:35 -0500
>Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 07:27:34 -0700
>From: "Michael P. Dodson" <mdodson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Roll Call
>
>on 11/30/00 10:09 AM, Stephen Troy at sctroy@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> 1 - OM-1n (with Polaroid back)
>> 1 - OM-1 (with Polaroid back)
>>

>Stephen,
>

>Can you tell me a bit about the Polaroid backs.  What do you use them for,
>what kind of film, etc?  I am familiar with the backs in the MF and LF
>world.

It's called the "NPC Proback" by Forscher.  The older ones like we have fit
OM-1's & 2's, and there is supposedly a newer one for the 3Ti/4Ti.  It's a
4x5 polaroid setup grafted to an OM camera back with a fiber optic
connection between the where the 35mm film normally rests and the polaroid
film.  Uses standard 4x5 Polaroid film.  You take one shot, pull the film
halfway out, take another shot and pull the film the rest of the way out
and "develop" like normal.  It's great that you get two exposures per sheet
of film.  The only disadvantage is that the back is 1 inch thick, so you
can't get your eye any closer to the camera than this.  Makes focusing a
little tough, but it's great for determining proper exposures.  If you use
it on a bellows, you have to mount the camera upside-down.

I may know where there is a used on for sale; B&H advertises them new for
$934.95 on page 65 of the 12/00 catalog.  Used they seem to go for around
$400.  Like any other camera equipment, there are times when this is just
the right equipment for the job, just like in the LF world.

We normally use them with a flash meter or incident meter, so the OM-1's
don't even have batteries in them.  But you could meter with, say, an OM-4,
put the lens on the OM-1 and use the same settings, do the Polaroids,
evaluate, and put the lens back on the OM-4 for the "real" shots.

Steve Troy
who DOES NOT have a steam engine in his back yard...