Re: [OM] Off-brand: Tokina RMC 100-300 f5

Subject: Re: [OM] Off-brand: Tokina RMC 100-300 f5
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 01:08:05 -0800
On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Rainer Wagner <Rainer.Wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Gary Schloss schrieb:
>
>> On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Rainer Wagner wrote:
>>
>> >does anybody have some experience with this lens, or even know, what
>> >the "RMC" means?
>>
>> Actually, this should be RMC Tokina 100-300mm f5.6 [big snip] Another
>> decent choice in the same range is the Soligor C/D 100-300mm F5.
>

>Hi Gary,
>It is indeed a f5 model, old and heavy, with normal close focusing to 2 m
>and only special close up at the 100mm end. Have I got something special ?

Well, if that's the case, then what you have is the lens known in the
U.S. as the Soligor C/D 100-300mm F5.  (I'm not very surprised, since
I have seen many examples of lenses sold in the U.S. under one brand
name e.g. Soligor, which were labelled differently in other markets.)

Recently, I sold a Soligor C/D 100-300mm F5 zoom in Konica AR mount,
and my records show that it has the same spec's and characteristics
as those you described for your Tokina.  In my exprerience, it's a
very respectable zoom lens, and the construction quality is terrific.

Here is a pict of that Soligor:

http://www.softcom.net/users/schloss/ebay/konica/100300_soligor.jpg

Does it look anything like your lens?

Btw, Soligor sometimes designed but never manufactured its own lenses.
So, it is plausible that this particular lens model was made by for
Soligor by Tokina, but the former cared only about U.S. distribution
rights, and relinquished sales in the rest of the world to Tokina.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA