Re: [OM] Off-brand: Tokina RMC 100-300 f5

Subject: Re: [OM] Off-brand: Tokina RMC 100-300 f5
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 00:11:30 -0800
On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Rainer Wagner <Rainer.Wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>does anybody have some experience with this lens, or even know, what
>the "RMC" means?

Actually, this should be RMC Tokina 100-300mm f5.6, product designation
SZ-10.  RMC stands for "Rainbow Multi-Coated".

>I bought this very cheap ( 80 DM , ~ 40$) and found it quite usable,
>even with a 2x converter I got some nice bird shots using it wide open.
>A nice feature is the built in close focus mode, which lets you get as
>close as ~30 cm (at 100mm).

Very good price!  This is a respectable zoom, very compact for this
focal range, and with unusually good close focusing capability -- down
to 3.3 ft (1 m) at _all_ focal lengths, which gives it at 300mm a close
to 1:2 life size magnification.

Apparently, this lens did not sell too well.  One of the reasons may
be that Canon, Minolta, Yashica, etc. had their own 100-300/5.6 zooms
which were optically superior to the Tokina.  (Pls don't ask why
Olympus never bothered to make such a Zuiko.  My guess: they felt that
every OM user ought to be happy with the 85-250/5.)  Eventually, Tokina
replaced the SZ-10 with the higher end AT-X 100-300mm F4.  Another
decent choice in the same range is the Soligor C/D 100-300mm F5.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA