Re: [OM] [OT] Solvents and adhesive removal

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Solvents and adhesive removal
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 02:56:11 EST
wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Don't know about the USofA, but in Australia this is the name for a low
 grade of Ethanol (used mainly for domestic cleaning), containing water and
 other stuff, mainly to discourage peple from drinking it.

 ...Wayne

Wayne,
           It is interesting the variety of answers this question has got. I
believe in a number of Anglo-phile countries this house cleaner
has a significant proportion of Methyl Alchol (hence my original reply) since
it usually has a blue colored emetic added so that
people are discouraged from drinking it or adding it to other drinks. Methyl
Alchol ("wood alchol") causes you to go blind in long term use.
In depressed areas the emetic which also tastes foul is still usually not
enough to discourage alcholics drinking it and going blind.
(a list member from Scotland mentioned this too). I believe you are right
about the water and maybe it does contain some ethanol as somebody else
suggested.

                  Regards,
                 Tim Hughes