Cleaning tips - was Re: [OM] To or not to CLA ...

Subject: Cleaning tips - was Re: [OM] To or not to CLA ...
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:36:11 +0000
One of my favourite little gadgets is one which attaches to the end of a
vacuum cleaner nozzle and consists of a length of 10mm or so tubing which
you can fit various small brushes and nozzles to.  The adapter which fits
the nozzle has some bypass holes so you do not get quite  the full vacuum
force at the end of the small hose.

With the small brush head this gadget is very effective at cleaning dust
from nooks and crannies in things.

Another very effective way of cleaning dirt and dust and slight traces of
oil from camera bodies and lens barrels is to use blu-tac.  I am sure this
stuff goes by various names in different countries so I am referring to a
rubbery putty that can be used for sticking posters on walls and numerous
other purposes.  They key thing is that it is a 'rubbery' putty rather
than an oily one as I have known a very inferior version some years ago
that was oily and left an oily imprint on shiny surfaces like glass.

A small ball of blu-tac rolled around on the surface of that which you
wish to clean, pushed into cracks and crevices and hard to  reach areas,
will do a remarkable job of removing dust and other forms of dirt,
including finger prints.

The best part is that it can be pushed down into recessed spaces that are
otherwise hard to clean, such as between the grooves on aperture rings and
focusing rings.  It can even be pushed into the recessed numbers and
letters on bodies and lenses.

Sometimes a little bit will stay behind but pushing more down onto it
and pulling back sharply will remove it.

I do not recommend it for cleaning optical surfaces.

Giles