Re: [OM] Some suggestions for a Camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Some suggestions for a Camera
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 08:15:34 -0600
Hi Chris,

----- Original Message from: "Chris Stinson" <music4free@xxxxxxxx>

> ... but I'd like the  power of a manual camera.

You off to a good start, since you got the right attitude!

> I came across the OM-2000 from Olympus and some people say it rocks, some
say it sucks.

 It rocks more than it sucks IMO.  There are those who will criticize it who
have never shot with it, so you have to factor that in with the criticism.
Most of us have been waiting for a significant development from Olympus in
the OM line, and the OM2000 is what we've been given for our loyalty and
devotion.  So there is some bitterness that accrues to the OM2000 which has
nothing to do with what it is in itself.  It's not made by Olympus, though
they put their marque on it. You have to decide how important that is to
you.  More seriously, the 2000 is not a system camera, which means there are
things like screens and motor drives which can be used interchangeably on
"real" OM bodies that can't be used with the 2000.

My biggest thing for the OM2000 is that I don't have to worry about the
batteries in cold weather.  My OM-2S's lock up intermittently in the cold,
regardless how fresh the batteries are.  I like to use a OM-1 with a winder
for handheld work and the OM2000 on a tripod during cold weather.

> Does anyone have that camera? is it good?
> is it good for the price? How are the lenses that come with it? Also, does
> anyone have any pictures that have been taken with an OM-2000, or on a
> similar (clone) camera that I can see?

I haven't heard anything good about the lenses, particularly the
35-70/3.5-4.8.  Stick with used Zuiko system lenses.  I like the camera for
my purposes.  There is a shutter lock, which is annoying but easily defeated
through a simple DIY modification.  The meter works only when you depress
the shutter button part way.  Olympus was simply did not pay for an
ever-ready meter feature on this camera.  I find that the most annoying
thing about the camera, which I remedy by using a locking cable release
sometimes but mostly just put up with.

The best features you've already mentioned:  the spot meter capability.
It's also very light and only very slightly bigger than a traditional OM.  I
like the feel of the wind on function.  One very good thing is the timer,
which causes the mirror to lock up and aperture to stop down, thus
neutralizing any vibration.  Gary Reese has found this to be a problem with
the OM-1 specifically, which is why I now use the OM-1 "only" for handheld
shots.  Gary BTW used the OM2000 for some of his lens tests, which tells you
something about the camera I think.  I believe his model broke somewhere
along the way, which should also be borne in mind!

I have a sprinkling of shots with the OM2000 on my site at

http://members.tripod.com/jdubikins/index.html

Check under the "autumn" gallery.

Cheers,

Joel Wilcox