[OM] Re: OM-2000

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-2000
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 07:30:08 -0500
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 18:23:59 -0700
>From: Chris Stinson <music4free@xxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Some suggestions for a Camera
>
>Hey,
>
>I'm new to the traditional camera scene. I've been taking pictures with my
>Olympus digital camera for a while now and I love it, but I'd like the
>power of a manual camera. Keeping in mind that I have no money left because
>of my digital camera, I'm looking for a "cheap" manual SLR. I came across
>the OM-2000 from Olympus and some people say it rocks, some say it sucks. I
>like the spot metering feature. Does anyone have that camera? is it good?
>is it good for the price? How are the lenses that come with it? Also, does
>anyone have any pictures that have been taken with an OM-2000, or on a
>similar (clone) camera that I can see?

I've had an OM-2000 for a bit less than a year. It's a decent camera to
start out with if you're short on cash. It will take pictures pretty much
as good as the glass you put on it. The spot metering feature was one of
the chief reasons that I bought the camera in the first place, and it
works. Since then I've aquired an OM-4, also with spot metering. It's an
interesting feature not found on any other cameras in the price range of
the OM-2000. The current low-end Nikon and the OM-2000 are virtually the
same Cosina-built bodies except that the Nikon doesn't have spot metering
and costs about twice as much.
The 35-70 mostly plastic lens that comes with the OM-2000 isn't up to
regular Zuiko lens standards, but even it it capable of resolution at least
as good as some current digital cameras.

I offered my OM-2000 plus 3 lenses, 35-70, Zuiko 28/3.5, plus Kiron 80-200
zoom forsale to this list a few days ago for $200 for the entire package. I
might take a bit less, or I might be willing to add a Solignor 2x
teleconverter or perhaps a intro to photo book or perhaps some other items
of interest. If you're interested in getting into manual photography, then
I'd like to help, if I can. Email me if you'd like to discuss further.

Mike Swaim
miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx