Re: [OM] Diopters, Glasses, etc. and Lasik

Subject: Re: [OM] Diopters, Glasses, etc. and Lasik
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 19:19:40 EST
I left off one really major, important thing about ANY eye "surgury" that
really bugs me...whether it be the newer Lasik or the older RK
(Radiokeratotomy) where they radiated "slits" around the cornea...
Other than the high rate of horribly blinded, painfully sensitive, and
uncorrectable conditions, one of MY biggest fears is the result of all that
scar tissue in your fiuture. If you were 75 and asked me about it, the scar
tissue obviously would not be an issue. But scar tissue is something that
varies greatly from patient to patient and can be anywhere from minimal to
horribly overgrown scars that impede vision OR future surguries. One thing
they DON'T tell you is that, should you have this procedure, you'll never be
able to have cataracts removed nor have corneal transplants, two wonderful,
almost perfected surguries that can really help you immeasurably as you age.
They have you sign a waver of responsibility that their lawyers drew up very
carefully to keep them from blame down the road.

Until medical science develops drugs to impede scaring, I think of this with
every and any procedure I myself must contemplate. A Dr standing there,
telling me that "look, I had it done myself!" only reinforces for me that he
is not too bright! EDo I sound rough on the Dr's??/ You damn well bet! I have
to listen to these poor patients, a lot of them in therir 30's and 40's, who
are in terrible trouble for the rest of their lives.

Just last week I made up to pair of "welding glasses" for a patient who now
sees 3 moons and cannot walk outside in daylight without these dark, dark
lenses.
SS

Susan Steele
Virginia USA
"Those who cast votes decide nothing, those who count the votes decide
everything."
(Joseph Stalin)