[OM] Re: [OT] Solvents and adhesive removal

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Solvents and adhesive removal
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 19:30:55 GMT
Cc: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Hiya, Susan,

Hope ya don't mind my copying this to the list since the question originated there, and others might be curious as well.

"Methyated spirits" sounds like it might be methylated spirits or one of many variations of references to alcohols. As a sometime furniture refinisher myself, I hate working with the stuff. It evaporates too quickly to be useful. I'd go with something like Formby's furniture refinisher - it's a blend of various solvents that works amazingly well and doesn't evaporate quite as quickly. Darned stuff is expensive, but I haven't found any other single solvent that works as well. I suppose mixing my own blend of acetone, toluene, methyl alcohol and mineral spirits might do the trick - but I'm disinclined to experiment. ;^)

Next best thing, and dirt cheap, is plain old paint thinner - mineral spirits. Reasonably safe to work with and a good all around degreaser/degunker. Working outside is probably best - still gotta watch out for ventilation and ignition sources.

Lex
===