[OM] solvents

Subject: [OM] solvents
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:22:33 -0800
Methylated spirits and mineral spirits are NOT the same thing.

"Spirits" means alcohol -- specifically, ethyl alcohol, the kind that makes you
drunk. When you add methyl (wood) alcohol (which is poisonous) to ethyl
alcohol, you get a non-drinkable solvent -- methylated spirits, or denatured
alcohol -- that can be sold without being subject to the taxes placed on
drinking alcohol. It's not expensive. I use a 50:50 mixture of denatured
alcohol and distilled water to clean LPs.

I LOVE GooGone. It dissolves almost any kind of adhesive, and removes many
types of dirt that other solvents or cleaners won't touch, without dissolving
most paints or dyes. It attacks styrene (keep it away from CD cases), but most
other plastics are safe. Leaves a nice orange scent, too.