Re: [OM] Jane Bown

Subject: Re: [OM] Jane Bown
From: Alasdair Mackintosh <alasdair.mackintosh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 13 Nov 2000 09:54:49 +0000
I'd intended to send this to the entire list, but inadvertantly sent it to
the original sender instead (which must have seemed rather odd - why's this
weirdo addressing me in the third person?).

-------------------

Garry Lewis <glewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >This week's Amateur Photographer features and article
> >on Jane Bown, who is known for her simple,
> >straightforward but stunning portraiture. She uses an
> >Olympus OM1 & 50mm and Tri-X for almost everything.

> Man would I like to sit down with her an discuss B&W portraiture. She
> does some nice work. An to get it all from 1/60 at f.8.

I was going to mention the AP aticle, but Gary beat me to it (and added a
very good set of links as well).

Her pictures are indeed superb, and in some cases (such as the Samuel
Beckett portrait) have become the definitive image of their subject. I love
the simplicity of approach (a single lens, no flash) but I strongly suspect
that she has the kind of talent that makes her achievements look easy. "I
could do that," you think, but when you try it yourself the results are
never quite so good.

> If she does
> use an OM-1, how do we get her on our list?

Somehow I don't see her as a Zuikoholic...

Alasdair