Re: [OM] Possible OM10 shutter malfunction

Subject: Re: [OM] Possible OM10 shutter malfunction
From: "Conrad Samuels" <cfsamuels@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 22:03:02 +0200
Thanks to the folks who have replied.  I'm sorry but I have caused confusion
by the way I phrased my statements.  Let's try again.

The OM10 has new batteries in it.  I've also used it for some months now
mainly on auto and thus far I have never had a dud exposure.

On Saturday evening my wife and I had a couple of friends round and while
they were sitting outside, lit only by the garden lights,  I tried to take a
shot of the group using available light.  I was using ISO400 film in the
camera and had the 50mm Zuiiko lens at f1.8.  I know that slow hand held
shots are tricky but I did not want to use flash and also I wanted to see
whether or not the camera would read such a fairly dim exposure.  Well the
indicator led showed 1 sec which was very slow for hand-held but I shot
anyhow.  Surprise surprise:  instead of the slow clunk mirror rises- shutter
opens- clunk mirror drops again,  the camera simply went "klunk". Certainly
not 1 sec.  So I shot a second,  exactly the same result.

The two shots did come out after a fashion but (as I expected) very dark and
looking like lamplight (which it was).  But when I switch to manual,  and
set the shutter for 1 sec,  then the thing works properly and gives what I
expect is a 1 sec exposure.  Also 1/2 sec,  1/4 sec and so on up.  But on
auto it does not seem to want to shoot at less than (what I judge to be)
about 1/30 sec.   The mirror does not stick up.  Everything works fine but
it is like my old Pentax ES-II with the duff circuitry.  It won't work below
1/60 sec  (in this case 1/30).  Look,  as things are I can use the camera on
manual perfectly easily even the meter readings are there and are accurate
enough (compared to other cameras I own).  It's just the auto business which
is abit tricky at speeds slower than 1/30.

Another thing,  with the camera there are actually two 50mm lenses.  One is
labelled OM-SYSTEM ZUIKO MC AUTO-S 1:1.8.  The other is labelled  OM-SYSTEM
F-ZUIKO AUTO-S 1:1.8.  What is the difference between the two?  Or is one
merely a later version of the other?

The zoom is labelled OM-SYSTEM ZUIKO AUTO-ZOOM 1:4  f=75-150mm.  Judging
from the metering this zoom is constant aperture.  Am I correct?

Sorry for all the questions but it is very very nice to be able to contact
so many helpful folks in this manner.

Conrad F. Samuels
Kirstenhof
South Africa