RE: [OM] Light leak?

Subject: RE: [OM] Light leak?
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 12:10:59 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 7 Nov 2000 05:41, mike blayney <mikeblayney@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Thanks but the fogging is not outside the negative 36x24 frame - so must be
>coming through the front?

>Mike.
>--- Hans van Veluwen <HVeluwen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> :Using an OM40(PC), on some prints I'm getting a red cast,
>> :always on the left
>> :covering 10% to 200f the print. It is strongest on the left
>> :and fades towards
>> :the centre and is fairly even top to bottom. Might this be a
>> :leak through the
>> :shutter slit when cocked or during cocking (if my brain's
>> :together, left on the
>> :print would be the film take up end of the negative)? If so,
>> :is there a cure?
>>
>> Check the foam in the camera back, on the camera where the back closes, and
>> near the film cannister window (!) for rot. If it's rotten it must be
>> replaced.

Over the years of this Olympus mailing list, there has been
several discussions of light leak with the OM-40/PC (and it
is always the OM-40/PC, none of the other models have ever
been mentioned as having a light leak problem).

I had this problem with my camera about 3 or 4 years ago.
Then maybe year and a half ago, someone in Europe also
brought up the light leak problem with his OM-40 (I can't
remember the list member's name off the top of my head right
now).  But each time, there was never a definitive conclusion
to the cause and cure for the problem.  The European was
going to try some experiments with taping up all the seams
and exposing them one at a time to try and identify where the
light was coming through, but he never finished the
experiment as far as I know.

The easily identified culprits have always been: The foam
seal around the film window; the foam seal around the back;
the self-timer window in the front; the motor-drive coupling
hole on the bottom.  But none of them have been positively
identified as the cause.

I solved my own problem by buying a "never-ready" case for
the body, and it seemed to have cured my problem.  So good
luck with your search.  If you have time, look into the
archives of this mailing list and you should find the past
discussions on light leak with the OM-40/PC.
        -Dan