[OM] OM v. medium format

Subject: [OM] OM v. medium format
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 22:45:10 -0800
From time to time I get bitten by the medium format bug, but I have resisted since it may interfere with OM acquisitions. Because of the interest I read the current Popular Photography review of the new Mamiya 645E and several lenses and it raised some questions. Typical resolutions for the lenses were in 40's in the center and 30's for the edges. Those were rated excellent for lenses of their type by PopPhoto. My memory of reviews of OM lenses typically tested in the center in the 70's and at the edges in the 60's. I did some simple minded arithmetic and the resolution of the two formats with these numbers would have resolved about the same number of lines on their respective film frames.

So is the advantage of medium format not because there are more details in the frame, but that they just look better painted on a bigger piece of film?

I assume that the lower numerical resolution for these lenses probably has something to do with designing a lens to cover the larger format. Does it keep going down as the format gets larger? I mean does a lens for an 8x10 view camera resolve about 10 lines/mm?

Anyone have any thoughts?
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA