Re: [OM] Gear for Grand Canyon trip

Subject: Re: [OM] Gear for Grand Canyon trip
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 23:43:13 GMT
Wow, would I love to take this trip again. My last, 20 years ago, remains vivid in memory.

The three lenses you mentioned will nearly cover every possible shooting situation. If you can't take all three, leave the 75-150/4 behind.

Yeh, folks are gonna disagree with me, but look at it this way: the 50/1.4 is probably the sharpest lens you own. Images taken with it will withstand enlargements in case you want a "closer" view of wildlife, etc. Anytime I'm limited, I'll take a normal lens.

And since the 28/2.8 is so small take it if you can. You'll appreciate it down in the canyon.

But if you can take only one, keep in mind that the great landscape photographers have used the equivalent to a normal lens for the format they used. That includes current landscape photographers like Ctein who typically uses a 90mm lens with his Pentax 67 MF camera.

Another consideration: if your trip is going to be this fall/winter, what's the weather like? You may not want to change lenses at all during precipitation. If that's the case, why tote an extra lens that doesn't get used? A backup P&S camera with a wide angle lens might make more sense.

If you're already considering a monopod, look for one that can double as a walking stick. Gitzo makes one specifically for this purpose. But I've seen Bogen/Manfrotto and Slik monopods that look suitable for this purpose. Folks who've used 'em recommend avoiding carbon fiber monopods for dual use as walking sticks - once the CF gets scuffed and abraded against rocks, etc., the fraying accelerates. Get a quick release head if it doesn't add too much bulk or weight.

For film, I'd go with Fuji Provia 100F (RDPIII). Astia is a little cheaper and if money is a factor, Sensia II 100 is also an excellent film. All three are considered pushable to 200. Of course I still love Kodachrome but using it would almost certainly require toting a tripod.

If you'd prefer print film, choices will depend on whether you prefer high color saturation or the ability to capture details in both shadows and highlights - an extremely important consideration in the contrasty canyons. I'd probably go with either Kodak Portra 400 VC, Fuji NPH or Fuji Reala. The choices here are much more varied than with slide film and can make or break your memories. Try different films before your trip.

And show us your pix after you get back!
Lex Jenkins
"Don't worry about everything 'cause nothing's gonna be alright."
- Casey Lechmanski

Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:04:16 -0600
From: "vivey" <vivey@xxxxxxx>

I am planning on backpacking in the grand canyon and was wondering what lenses to take...I cant just take everything...I have available to me a 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, and 75 to 150 4.0. I cant take them all...If you could suggest two and also suggest which if I could only take one lens...