Re: [OM] Developing Your Own Slides

Subject: Re: [OM] Developing Your Own Slides
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 22:45:02 -0800 (PST)
Warren wrote:
I processed my slides a long time ago. Not only does it take patience
and time, the chemicals have to be mixed exactly, the timing exact,
drying them without dust, etc. Then you have to cut them and mount
them.
OTOH, Fuji mailers are $3.75 each at B&H. Time and money are better
spent elsewise IMHO.
I, too, used to develop my slides a long time ago. The reasons: I
wanted quick results, I wanted to reduce costs and I could do it at
home without a dark-room (just needed a black bag to load the tank).

Some tips, based on my experience at the time:
(a) Buy a good tank - loading bad ones can be difficult.
(b) When developing in a cold room, it can be difficult to gauge the
    true temperature of the developer because it will fall
    constantly, so base the process time on the 'average' temperature.
    Try measuring temperature about halfway through the process time
    you first 'guesstimated' and adjust the process time according to
    that temperature.
(c) Agitate the tank by inverting it, rather than stirring it, for
    more even results.
(d) Do a final wash using distilled water, to avoid drying marks.
(e) Don't try to economise by using oild or already exhausted
chemicals.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll find it rewarding.

Regards,

=====
Ray