RE: [OM] Kodachrome Scans

Subject: RE: [OM] Kodachrome Scans
From: Hans van Veluwen <HVeluwen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 10:02:56 +0100
:So far, I've had no problems scanning Kodachromes with my
:SprintScan 4000. Maybe I'm just lucky?

The readme file for the Nikon LS-2000 & LS-30 software says:

"2. Using Kodak Kodachrome film
Kodachrome Slide Film uses a unique dye. Because of this, it will respond
to scanning in a manner different from all other slide films, including
Ektachrome and Fujichrome. This unique dye may affect the color
reproduction of images scanned from Kodachrome originals. In addition,
Surface Defect Correction will be affected when using Kodachrome film."

I haven't tried scanning Kodachrome in my LS-30 yet, but I wonder - which
slide film is supposed to give the *best* scan results? I found Ektachrome
64 and Sensia II also more difficult to scan than negative fim - it needed
more manual correction, with or without Nikon's automatic color management.
Is there any third party software that cooperates with the LS-30 and has
built-in film definitions to correct these problems, like that Silverfast
software that sometimes is sold with the scanner?

hnz