Re: [ot] slide vs neg D was Re: [OM] Kodachrome Scans

Subject: Re: [ot] slide vs neg D was Re: [OM] Kodachrome Scans
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 21:01:40 -0500
Acer,

Slide film does not have as much latitude as print or b&w film. It cannot reproduce in the same frame an exposure range from bright to dark that is more than about 3 aperture stops or a magnitude of 8 from darkest to lightest. OTOH, negative film will capture a range of about 7 aperture stops or a magnitude of 128 times as much light in the brightest areas as are in the darkest. I'm talking about detail in the shadow and highlight areas. Professionals shooting for advertisements used to use a mask to cut down the range and extend the slide for use in print mediums.

You can probably take this the rest of the way for scanning film.

Gregg

Acer wrote:
On Fri, 3 Nov 2000 WKato@xxxxxxx wrote:

>In a message dated 11/3/00 11:23:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>>
>>  Only true of prints from colour negatives.  Colour negatives have a
>>  greater dynamic range than colour slides, according to Shipman.
>>
>>  Giles
>>
>Ed Hamrick, who knows far more than I, writes as follows in the Vuescan help
>pages. The density ranges of the 2 films are about the same (1 f stop) but
>the relationship between the scene and the film is different:
>
>"Color negative film is able to capture a much wider range of intensities
>than slide film, and this creates a problem when scanning negative film.
>
>"Slide film maps a density range of 0:2.7 to an intensity range of 1:500, but
>negative film maps a smaller density range of 0:2.4 to a larger intensity
>range of 1:4000."

i've read this a few times, but still can't understand what it means :\
which would yield more info (range) when scanned (same scene, same
exposure, same lens), slide or neg (and does it makes any difference for
color vs. chromogenic vs b/w?) thanks. btw, is kchrome less tolerant of
exposure error vs. regular chromes? and why is there "chrome" in
there? feel free to point me to websites for being very curious <g>

ob-OM-c: spent a roll (w/ and w/o PL) using 28 and 50mm zuiks shooting
fall colors hour prior sunset (lovely warm glow, almost no smog! what
a miracle...and quarter moon was perfectly positioned in the sky; full use
of PL to darken the skies there and saturate the leaves)

/Acer V
--
dum spiro, spero
http://student.ucr.edu/~siddim01