Re: [OM] "Me in a Tornado GR1" - going OT

Subject: Re: [OM] "Me in a Tornado GR1" - going OT
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 21:09:18 +0100
I think you're probably right Jan. The camera in the Tornado was in my hand as I remember (yes, must have been - no tripods in a Tornado ;-)).

I shall be anxious to get the colours of other aircraft and of the sky right (of course). I wonder if a polariser is important to use, or useless because you want to avoid too much blue.

My navigator a while back took photos of the refuelling probe of my Tornado while in the drogue of the tanker (a VC10 I think). The camera was my wife's AF-1 Twin (Infinity Twin) on 35mm. The colour was great. We were on our way across the Atlantic in formation with a few others. It was my first long distance RAF tanker trail and there were large icebergs south of Greenland, making me think of being warm in an aircraft, not freezing cold in a single-man survival dinghy. Of course those icebergs are doubtless melted now what with global warming etc... ;-).

BTW Jan, it's a Grob 118 (or 180).

Chris

I don't think you *want* to attach the camera to the airframe, as vibration
(especially in a piston aircraft) will caues all sorts of problems. The
usual recommendation is to hand-hold, making sure no part of the camera
touches anything but your hands; this lets your butt serve as a vibration
damper.
--
<|_:-)_|>

Chris Barker