Re: [OM] Payment to Australia

Subject: Re: [OM] Payment to Australia
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 16:40:34 -0000
Dinkar Jhalera wrote:

> ...The interesting thing about the whole experience was that it took only
> week for the parcel to arrive here in the UK from the moment I asked my
bank
> to send the money over, a lot quicker then getting parcel from USA
though...

I received on Monday a 35RD from Australia 4 days after completing the
BidPay form! It could even have been 3 days if Sunday hadn't got in the way.
I have a feeling that US parcels get here fast enough but get stuck in a
queue at HM Customs.

The 35RD itself is a bit of a disappointment, however. The "3mm scratch on
the rear element" is about twice that long, and although the meter works and
seems to select apertures in Auto mode okay, it's very erratic in Manual
mode, with only f1.7 and f2 working properly. Turning the ring to f2.8
selects f4, and anywhere from f5.6 or smaller closes the aperture down
fully. The shutter ring feels lumpy and imprecise but the actual speeds seem
okay. The eBay seller has offered to take it back for a refund but I'm quite
undecided and will await the results of a test film.

I wonder if I will live long enough to have a 100% working 35RD?

OTOH I've received another 35RC from Germany at a very low price (I fully
expected to be outbid but wasn't), very much in user condition but
everything works except that the self timer doesn't push the shutter release
down far enough to trip the shutter. I think/hope that this should be
readily adjusted with the top off, but as it has a cable release socket it's
no big deal if it isn't.

Regards,
Keith Berry
(Birmingham, UK)