Re: [OM] OM 2 question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 2 question
From: ZuikoholicRI@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 13:40:56 EST
Cc: skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In a message dated 10/30/2000 1:26:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I can't think of any other reason other than Olympus decided that the
> majority of photographs were better served by the 2nd, less-center-weighted
> metering pattern.  It also may have produced a better match between the OTF
> metering (via the shutter curtain pattern), and the in-finder metering.

Interesting. I always thought the *earlier* OM-2s were less center-weighted,
but only for longer exposures, and the two were about the same for shorter
exposure times. My understanding was that they changed *how* the
center-weighting was accomplished, not *how much* center weighting their was
(other than for slower shutter speeds, where the older-patterned bodies break
down).

If this is true then I suppose if you put an older-pattern shutter curtain in
an OM-2 meant to have the newer curtain then the center-weighting would be
increased for the faster shutter speeds only.

If the *only* difference between the two versions of the OM-2 is the curtain
pattern, then one of the two is going to be a poor match to the metering
system that controls the shutter speed readout in the finder.

Given that, I agree that ultimately as long as you know what your meter is
doing it shouldn't really matter that much, and the best way to figure out
what your meter is doing is to shoot some slides.

Paul Schings