Re: [OM] airport security

Subject: Re: [OM] airport security
From: Loren Russell <loren@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:09:59 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Barry B. Bean wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:05:23 -0700 (PDT), Loren Russell wrote:
>

>  I will take the chance of fogged film any day over the
> chance that the passenger behind me is a suicide bomber for the PLO.

My point was that "airport security" is a run-away imperative that takes
no cognizance of the actual risk [ITEM: several security practices
including "the questions" are introduced when TWA 800 goes down.  When it
becomes clear that the problem was an electrical short-circuit, we
continue with this "ratchet"],

....no cognizance of our traditions of civil
liberties [yes, I might hypothetically have my life saved -- but I would
much more likely be saved by having a cop on every corner frisking me and
everyone else and confiscating 'weapons', and a surveillance camera
in every home to cover the gaps.
Why don't I want that???]

....and certainly no cognizance of silver technology.  My final straw was
the ignoramus telling me that the metal gate would damage film, but the
x-ray wouldn't.  c'mon BB!

loren russell