Re: [OM] Airport security - UK

Subject: Re: [OM] Airport security - UK
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 14:12:13 -0600
At 04:54 PM 10/28/2000 +0000, Giles wrote:

>I think, given a fixed power level for the XRay, there would be a very
>slight degree of extra protection offered by an all metal body.
>
>Giles
>
>Chris Barker wrote:
>
>> Are our metal-bodied SLRs less likely to be affected (the film inside I
>> mean) than a plastic-bodied P & S, does anyone know?  I am clueless on
>> X-Ray technology.

The issue here is "fixed power level for the X-Ray."  Most airport X-ray
machines now come with the ability to "up the power" so as to see through
things that are otherwise opaque at lower power levels.  Which means they'll
keep upping the power until they can see through the camera.

At Heathrow, such a beast was used on my OM-4 with film in it.  Didn't notice
any problems once I had the film processed, though.

Garth