Re: [OM] filtered or unfiltered

Subject: Re: [OM] filtered or unfiltered
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 22:32:47 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Eric Goodell wrote:

> When is the best time to use the 1A (ever so slightly rose) filter?

  There is no 'best time'. No formulas. Only you, your vision and the
will to fulfill it.

>  Always?

   Noooooooo. Unless a filter is NEEDED, you are wasting the potential
of your fine OM lenses by using a filter. Of course, if you're in a
sandstorm, one would do for protection.

> Portraits?

  Sometimes, specially with slide film.

> Never?

  That's up to you.

> Landscapes?

  See above. I find that when I need a warming filter, a 1A is not enough.

> And while I'm thinking of it, what filters (besides polarizer) do you use
> more than once a year, and under what circumstances?

     I use polarizers, warm polarizers, 81A, 81B, 81C warming series
(specially the 81B). GND filters(contrast problem solvers). FLD for
shoooting under fluorescents and goosing the ocassional sunrise/set.
With B&W, my favorite is: Light Yellow-Green XO, but I also use the yellow
#8, deep green, orange and rarely the 25A red. When to use them ?
When they help to actualize your vision.

                             *= Doris Fang =*