(Fwd) Re: [OM] Please don't fragment the list!!!! Was: "For Sal

Subject: (Fwd) Re: [OM] Please don't fragment the list!!!! Was: "For Sal
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 20:19:29 +0000

From: "Mark A. Thalman" <markt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Lex Jenkins <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>

The addition of a For Sale list may have started as a joke, but as many of
the "Me Too" posts testify they were serious.

The creation of OM-Trader was not meant to fragment the list but to augment
it.  One can participate in both lists without any loss.  I would be
surprised if anyone left this list for OM-Trader.  If there were any way to
enforce a restriction that one must sub*scribe to this list before joining
OM-Trader, I would do that.  The list charter was hastily written, I'll be
working on an updated version this weekend with the OM list requirement
done on the honor system.

Tom Scales' and others decision to not post any more FS items to this list
was a loss.  One that I felt because someday I'll be able to buy another
lens or body without jeopardizing my marriage.

After 24 hours the OM-Trader has about 60 sub*scribers and one sale.  One
thing that has happened on OM-Trader is there are several "I'm Looking for
XXX if anyone wants to part with this equipment" type posts that I haven't
seen here.  I'll admit I've only been on this list a few months, so maybe
it happens, but less frequently.

--
Mark Thalman, markt@xxxxxxxxxxxx