RE: [OM]IS series

Subject: RE: [OM]IS series
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:42:25 -0700
Jim, I bought an IS-10 new a few years back (I shudder when I think
about what I spent for it but I sold a Bessler 23C with color head that
was gathering dust to help offset the cost). This was specifically
bought to use as a family P&S and is has done us very well over the past
6 or so years. I was invited at the last minute to a press only access
to the Audi/Auto Union display tent at Monterey Historics 1999 and all I
had along was the IS-10. (I was leading a scenic drive for the Quattro
Club that day and had the IS-10 to shoot the occasional cars parked in
scenic places kinda shot for the club). This is one of the shots:
http://motorsportvisions.com/Audi/fi/00000059.htm It wound up being
published in a magazine and in the 2000 Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix
race program.

After joining this list I heard raves about the single digit (4 digit in
ROW outside the US) IS cameras, particularly the IS-3. I happened to
notice an eBay listing for an "Olympus 35mm Camera" from an estate
dealer and noticed it was an IS-2. I watched it and as nobody else wound
up bidding went in a poached it for $80.00. It turned out to be in
exceptional condition (aside from a musty smoke smell in the strap).
Soon after that I met a professional racing photographer at the Sears
Point NASCAR Winston Cup race back in May of this year who used IS-3s
(with G40 and the adapter lenses) exclusively. I have really enjoyed the
IS-2 and can only imagine what the -3s are like. Still haven't gotten
the G40 but I know I need one soon. Aside from being plastic and thus
somewhat delicate, I can not say enough good things about the IS-2. I
just finished doing an update on the gallery from the ALMS weekend two
weeks back (still have over 100 to go--next week sometime). The URL is:
http://motorsportvisions.com/lsalms2k/index.htm and images # _089
through _100 were all taken with the IS-2 which I now use for most of my
pit lane and paddock work. The IS-10 now gathers dust.

I tend to like many Olympus offerings but it was the OM-1 that brought
me to Olympus some 25+ years ago now. I can't sat enough good things
about the Stylus Epic and I really look forwards to seeing an E10 for
the first time (but will wait for that evolution to start tapering off
before making the digital jump...after all, I have a 350/2.8 to pay off
for now). Off to Lala land in an hour...vacation here I come!

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com