Re: [OM] Advice Needed Re: Olympus Point'N'Shoot

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice Needed Re: Olympus Point'N'Shoot
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:25:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Franklin Berryman wrote:

> problem I see with them is that you have to set the focus range to near,
> medium and far.  Is there a fixed focus XA?  In the alternative, what other
> model would you suggest.  Zoom is not really an important factor.  Thanks in
> advance

  I own three XA's, and one XA2. The latter has the three-zone focus
system, and primitive as that is, it works well. The XA lenses have some
vignetting, (Okay, a fair amount...), but you'll never notice it with
print
film, and the camera's been used by the likes of Galen Rowell, so it's
good enough for most of us. The XA's have rangefinder focusing. The RF
baseline is probably in the 1.5 " range, but with its 35/2.8 it works
really well.
  One of my XAs appears to have much less vignetting than the other
two, btw, and I haven't a clue as to why. Probably an inner element came
unglued !

                                   *= Doris Fang =*