RE: [OM] OM gear with longest life expectancy - sigh

Subject: RE: [OM] OM gear with longest life expectancy - sigh
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:41:43 -0700
In a message dated 10/24/00 atk@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< So if I were to believe this thread (I hope it is false). All om-2sp
will be
dead in the next 5 years. Why, it was said expected life of their
circuit
(regardless of how gentle you are with the camera) is 10 to 20 years.
Most were
produced around 1984-1985..... >>

Add to that list mid-80s cars (almost all of which had some kind of
solid state control systems involved), mid-fi audio gear (LCD displays
were just starting to become popular), and many other things that have
obviously not died yet. Many can still be found...in thrift shops,
camera bags, entertainment center shelves, and oh yeah...I drive a
couple too.

While my background is not in semi-conductor research, I do have a solid
electronics background and to me the concept of everything electronic
made 10-20 years ago up and dying of old age on a set time-line of 10-20
years has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com