Re: [OM] TOPE comments

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE comments
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 12:23:54 EDT
In a message dated 10/23/00 10:51:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<< As a quick side note, I've recently noticed myself more and more saying
 things like, "Gee, the light sure looks interesting over there" and "That's
 a very pretty scene."  I've come to realize that my photographic hobby is
 teaching me too SEE things, as opposed to merely LOOKING at things,
 as life whizzes by. >>

Chris,
My hub told me last night that he had noticed a real change in my
photographic "style" on our recent trip (vs. around the home and normal life)
to Germany. It has been five years since I have done big "trip" photography.
he said in the past I would click, click, click, filling rolls and rolls and
then edit them out at home. He said he noticed I was much more discerning in
what I chose to photograph, much choosier about the light, etc. I don't think
I meant to..

 I hadn't really noticed, myself, but in retrospect I realize I really have
changed (grown? gotten a more discerning eye?? know better what will work and
what won't?? who knows?) in that I shoot more now for a specific look, rather
than to merely record the scene.

Thinking back, I was 22 when I got my first OM (OM-1 in '74) and was so
intense in learning the camera AND photography in general that I fear I was
not always terribly concerned about the photo content, the lighting, etc. I
also wonder if I was more inot "I was there" photography rather than using
any form of individualism.

Aas with most things, I think a little age gives us an entirely different
perspective...not just achitecture ,etc because we know more about it over
time,  but in the way you actually approach and "see" things. I know it has
for me..I'm much more inclined to shoot the people instead of the building at
a famous site, look more for atmosphere than postcard shots, etc.

I wonder if my 70's I will again be as different in my approach from today as
I am today from my twenties. (Did that last sentence make any sense at all??
LOL)
Susan

Susan Steele
Virgina USA