Re: [OM] Suggestions for paying in France?

Subject: Re: [OM] Suggestions for paying in France?
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 22:09:02 +0100
Dinkar Jhalera wrote:
> I have recently bid an XA + A16 flash eBay. Unfortunately the seller is in
> France and I am in UK. The closing bid was in US$. The seller wants in
> postal orders but here in UK the post office stopped dealing in overseas
> postal orders/money orders some time ago. Any suggestions from list
members
> or any experiece of sending money to Europe.

I've bought a few small things from German sellers on eBay and I've yet to
find a better way than to buy Deutschmarks from a local bank (I have to
order them a day before) and post them, their 'feel' disguised by using two
envelopes, the inner one folded.

> I could send money by BidPay as I asked BidPay and they said they can send
> money to France but it will be in US$ or I could go down to the bank and
ask
> for a banker's draft made out in equivalent French Francs but how do you
> work out a fair exchange rate between UK pounds /US $ and French Francs.

If the auction was in US$ there should be no objection from the seller to
sending a BidPay order in US$. I gather that seller has to register as such
with BidPay, which includes lodging his credit card number with them - the
reason given by one US seller for not accepting payments through BidPay.

I didn't get around to adding to the recent thread on international
payments, mostly 'cos Hans v V said all I had to say first, but my favourite
way to pay for goods from the US is through Billpoint, and if there are
similar items available I now give priority to bidding where the seller
accepts that method - it's at least $6 cheaper than BidPay, which makes a
big difference on a low value item.

Has anyone in the UK come across a German seller with the id 'alexzop?'
I've been the high bidder on two of his auctions and he just won't respond
to my emails, whether in English or German. He sells to Europe only but
perhaps he doesn't recognise England as being in Europe (in which he
probably isn't alone). He has impeccable feedback - all in German.
Annoyingly, he's been the only source of half frame slide mounts or I'd not
bother with him.

Regards,
Keith Berry
(Birmingham, England)