Re: [OM] Remoting T-series Flash(es) from the BG-2 Handle

Subject: Re: [OM] Remoting T-series Flash(es) from the BG-2 Handle
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 23:09:29 EDT
clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I don't know if it matters, but the T-32 and BG2 both use the same
 transformer - but I'll have to check to see if the oscillation circuits
 are the same or not. >>

As pointed out the previously the BG2 has a voltage control feedback loop
with hysteresis and also it uses a single power transistor rather than the
two parrallel transistors in the T32. In general almost all these small
flashes use blocking oscillators so in that sense they are the same but
detailed topology differs. The T flashes and BG2 sense output current and
adjust drive transistor base current accordingly (reduces power consumption)
but again the detail is different. Olympus has a patent on a number of
variations of those feedback topologies but in fact Sunpak also uses very
similar feedback topologies in their handlemounts. The warbling of the BG2 is
related to the voltage feedback loop's hysteresis while the T32 just rises in
frequency without the control loop.

                  Regards,
                 Tim Hughes