RE: [OM] In Defence of OM1 (was "25 Best Cameras"/"Spotmatics & Olys"/et

Subject: RE: [OM] In Defence of OM1 (was "25 Best Cameras"/"Spotmatics & Olys"/et al)
From: jowilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 16:07:52 -0500
>===== Original Message From clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in part =====
>The 25 _BEST_ cameras?  "Best" means what it means - not "best for it's
>day", or "a milestone, surpassed by time".  If you're talking about the
>BEST, you've _got_ to include the OM-1.  It does what it does better
>than virtually every like-camera ever made.  For a mechanical/manual
>camera, it's unsurpassed.

Let's not get carried away.  I love my OM-1's, but I'm quite certain I get
superior results from the OM-2S and OM-4T, particularly in the vulnerable
speeds from 1/2 to 1/30 where shutter/aperture stopdown can set up a harmonic
resonance of sorts.  The true MLU of the OM-1 is no deterrent of this,
unfortunately. Gary Reese's results in lens tests using the OM-1 (and his
subsequent retesting with the OM2000 and OM-4) show the effect of this little
harmonic resonance, which accounts for almost a full grade of degradation in
some of his lens tests.

The OM-1 is my favorite camera for handheld shooting in cold weather, though I
would use the OM2000 for tripod shots where the vulnerable shutter speeds are
involved and I don't trust the batteries of the OM-2S or -4T.

Joel (OM-1 curmudgeon) Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA